THe Lone Apsara

THe Lone Apsara

Monday, March 14, 2011

Devatas at Angkor Wat

Received a very kind letter from Kent Davis who is the project Coordinator for Devata.org.
He was kind enough to tell me I could email him with questions. The problem is I always have some. So now I will write them down when I am away from my computer or desk.
I also told him my thoughts about what I thought were their possible roles there at Angkor Wat back in the beginning.
If you look at the beautiful relief of the woman on the top of my blog you wonder at what she must have been like. I do, like Kent Davis believe they are individual snapshots of the different women there. Maybe they were teachers, healers, philosophers, wives, lovers concubines, dancers, princesses but I also think they may have been protectors of the royal family. Like I told Mr. Davis if General Sun Tzu of China could use women in his army, concubines of the Emperor why couldn't the Kings of Angkor have them? I mean who would suspect a beautiful woman.
So this is one of my rabbit trails for this morning. Back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment